Manage episode 352628136 series 2954729
Ken joins Danny and Abe to discuss the challenges course creators face with online learning and ways they can overcome them by leaning on their experiences.
In this episode we discuss:
- Why it is important for course creators to be open to adapting new approaches.
- How to leverage your past experience to create a more enriching learning experience for your students.
- Adjustments you can make to online course delivery to encourage better student participation.
- How the hybrid approach can result in a more successful course.
- The importance of listening to and acknowledging the concerns of your students when developing course material.
- Danny and Abe’s debrief.
“I am astonished by just how powerful the distance learning can be, if you know how to structure it, and you allow people to explore that space in a safe way.”
– Ken Long
Ken Long served in the military in various offices for 45 years and much of that time was dedicated to educating others. His passion for education has led him to serve as an adjunct professor at several universities, and Associate Professor at the US Army Command and General Staff College.
Ken is the founder of Tortoise Capital Management Inc, a solution provider for professional traders, as well as an executive coach, trainer and process consultant for Leadership, Creativity, Systems Thinking. His extensive background has provided him with indepth knowledge on the challenges and limitations educators are faced with, especially in the evolving education industry. Through his experiences, he has learned how best to overcome these obstacles and how to identify and leverage opportunities to create more effective courses.
Despite his many professional roles, Ken believes in maintaining a work-life balance. He has a black belt in judo and jujitsu and coaches youth soccer year round.
*married to his wife, Linda, for 36 years and has 3 amazing kids.
Resources or websites mentioned in this episode:
- Guest: Ken Long
- Hosts: Danny Iny & Abe Crystal
- Producer: Cynthia Lamb
- Executive producer: Danny Iny
- Assembled by: Geoff Govertsen
- Audio Post Supervisor: Evan Miles, Christopher Martin
- Audio Post Production: Post Office Sound
- Music soundscape: Chad Michael Snavely
- Making our hosts sound great: Home Brew Audio
If you don't want to miss future episodes of Course Lab, please subscribe to Apple podcasts or Spotify or wherever you're listening right now. And if you liked the show, please leave us a starred review. It's the best way to help us get these ideas to more people.
Music and SFX credits:
Episode transcript: Tactical Learning (Ken Long) coming soon