Manage episode 376114298 series 1919368
When you grow an edible garden, you likely end up with a surplus of fresh produce at the peak of each growing season. Rather than letting those precious veggies and fruits go to waste, consider preserving them through time-tested techniques like canning and fermenting. These methods allow you to safely store your garden harvest so you can enjoy homemade jams, pickles, sauces, and more throughout the year! In this episode, you'll learn the basics of canning and fermenting from renowned homesteader, canning expert, and author Stephanie Thurow.
In this episode, we learn:
- [06:06] How Stephanie got into canning and fermenting
- [07:42] What's the strategy behind the timing of canning?
- [09:53] Difference between canning and fermenting
- [11:53] Is fermentation a shelf-stable process like canning, or does it require refrigeration?
- [13:37] Why is it advised to consume a spoonful of fermented food each day, such as sauerkraut?
- [14:31] What is the storage setup for Stephanie's canned and fermented goods?
- [15:22] Materials you need for water bath canning
- [16:43] Why is a rack required when using your 4th burner pot for canning?
- [19:00] Where can you find premium, handcrafted wind chimes that are perfect for gifting?
- [20:32] Where can you find potting mixes, composts, and fertilizers for indoor and outdoor gardening?
- [23:05] Steps to prepare for a canning session
- [28:28] Common mistakes beginners make when canning
- [31:11] What are the basic requirements for fermenting vegetables?
- [32:16] Why "The Cottage Garden" is your ultimate resource for understanding the history, evolution, and stunning modern interpretations of cottage garden design
- [33:47] Difference between dry salting and brining in fermentation
- [35:44] Are there any precautions or cleanliness practices to follow during fermentation?
- [36:25] What do you need to know about fermenting basics?
- [38:31] What is the recommended timeline for fermenting different types of foods?
- [39:36] Common troubleshooting tips for fermenting to avoid issues like mold?
- [40:24] Should you follow recipes?
- [41:01] Where can you find trusted online recipes for fermentation and canning recipes?
- [42:15] What are Stephanie's favorite fermentation and canning recipes?
- [46:12] Unique or unusual items Stephanie has tried pickling
- [49:12] Where can you find Stephanie’s books online?
- [51:30] How do you break the seal on the tightly sealed jars?
- [52:35] Where can you find Stephanie on social media?
Mentioned in our conversation:
- Growing Joy Episode 195: Homesteading For Beginners With Michelle Bruhn And Stephanie Thurow
- National Center for Home Food Preservation
- Ball Mason Jar Lids & Bands
- Spritz Society Pickle by Claussen®
- Food Preservation Cookbooks by Stephanie Thurow:
- Can It & Ferment It: More Than 75 Satisfying Small-Batch Canning and Fermentation Recipes for the Whole Year
- WECK Home Preserving: Made-from-Scratch Recipes for Water-Bath Canning, Fermenting, Pickling, and More
- WECK Small-Batch Preserving: Year-Round Recipes for Canning, Fermenting, Pickling, and More
For Stephanie's go-to recipes,
Thank you to our episode sponsor:
Wind River Chimes
Bring more peace, serenity, and magic into your home with chimes. Wind River is a Virginia-based company creating premium handcrafted and hand-tuned wind chimes for over 35 years. If you are looking for a new way to grow joy in your life and find a moment of peace, a Wind River chime is the perfect addition for your home or garden. Plus, it's a perfect personalized gift for your loved ones!
Visit windriverchimes.com and use code GROWINGJOY to receive free engraving on all Corinthian Bells wind chimes.
Ensure a thriving plant paradise with the right products! Espoma Organic is dedicated to making safe indoor and outdoor gardening products for people, pets, and the planet. They have an amazing variety of high-quality, organic potting mixes, garden soil, fertilizers, and pest control products that are organic and eco-friendly. To top it all off, they have a huge sustainability commitment with a 100% solar powered plant, zero waste manufacturing and eco-friendly packaging.
Quarto: The Cottage Garden by Claus Dalby
Explore the history and draw inspiration from different cottage garden design-styles in this organically-written book filled with over 700 full-color photographs. Learn the fundamentals and the principles behind well-design cottage gardens as author Claus Dalby features famous and modern cottage gardeners and gardens from all over the world. This book is your ultimate resource for understanding and interpreting the cottage garden design, so you can create your own! Check out The Cottage Garden at your favorite local bookstore, quarto.com, Barnes and Noble, or amazon.com.
Follow Maria and Growing Joy:
Order my book: Growing Joy: The Plant Lover's Guide to Cultivating Happiness (and Plants) by Maria Failla, Illustrated by Samantha Leung
Join the Bloom and Grow Garden Party Community Platform & App AKA the plantiest and kindest corner of the internet! Get your FREE 2-week trial here!
Take the Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Subscribe to the Growing Joy Youtube channel! /growingjoywithmaria
* Check out Quince and use my code joy for a great deal: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Quince: https://www.quince.com/
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands