Manage episode 377322790 series 1919368
Is your houseplant suddenly dropping leaves, getting spots, or just looking sick? Plant diseases can strike fear into any plant parent's heart. One day your plant baby is thriving, and the next it's on the decline! Plant diseases happen to the best of us. Even expert growers deal with fungal, bacterial, and viral plant infections. The good news is that many common houseplant diseases are treatable if caught early. But plant friends, you need to first know how to accurately identify them.
In the third episode of the Grow Better series with my dear friend, Leslie Halleck, we explore how to spot symptoms, diagnose plant illnesses, build a first aid kit, and nurse your plants back to health.
In this episode, we learn:
- [07:00] What is a plant disease?
- [09:55] Why do plants get these diseases? (the disease triangle)
- [11:47] Factors involved when a pathogen meets a host
- [13:11] Difference between signs and symptoms
- [16:36] Challenges of identifying plant symptoms
- [20:17] Is it enough to know what the disease is before you start treating it?
- [20:51] General guidelines for identifying different types of diseases (fungal, viral, and bacterial)
- [24:37] What are some common misconceptions about bacterial and fungal disease infections?
- [28:19] Disease #1 Powdery Mildew
- [30:46] Enjoy a 15% discount on Soltech’s Grove LED Bar Light as a member of the Growing Joy community!
- [32:30] Does the idea of gifting mindfulness through resonating wind chimes intrigue you?
- [34:30] Disease #2 Molds
- [38:12] Disease #3 Leaf spots
- [41:14] Importance of having fungicides in a houseplant care kit!
- [43:14] Disease #4 Root rot
- [45:05] Considerations for propagating specific species (e.g., African violets)
- [48:23] Why do viruses generally have no effective treatments?
- [48:43] What are the go-to resources for diagnosing plant disease?
- [56:26] What is the best course of action for treating black rot on a Dracula or any orchid?
- [59:25] Keep your plants healthy by practicing prevention and environmental management
Mentioned in our conversation:
For disease-specific treatment guides,
Thank you to our episode sponsor:
Bring the beauty of nature into your home. Soltech Solutions makes the grow lights you’ve heard me talk about for years: whether you are looking for a pendant light, track lighting, or a simple bulb to screw into any standard light fixture, Soltech has got you covered. They offer quality products with great customer service, free shipping, and a 5-year warranty. Keep the sun shining and the plants green inside your home with Soltech Solutions.
Check them out at soltechsolutions.com and get 15% off with code "bloom15".
Wind River Chimes
Tap into the power of mindfulness and bring more peace, serenity, and magic into your home with chimes. Wind River is a Virginia-based company creating premium handcrafted and hand-tuned wind chimes for over 35 years. If you are looking for a new way to grow joy in your life and find a moment of peace, a Wind River chime is the perfect addition for your home or garden. Plus, it's a perfect personalized gift for your loved ones!
Visit windriverchimes.com and use code GROWINGJOY to receive free engraving on all Corinthian Bells wind chimes.
Follow Maria and Growing Joy:
Order my book: Growing Joy: The Plant Lover's Guide to Cultivating Happiness (and Plants) by Maria Failla, Illustrated by Samantha Leung
Join the Bloom and Grow Garden Party Community Platform & App AKA the plantiest and kindest corner of the internet! Get your FREE 2-week trial here!
Take the Plant Parent Personality Quiz (Get the perfect plants, projects and educational resources for YOUR Lifestyle)
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Subscribe to the Growing Joy Youtube channel! /growingjoywithmaria
* Check out Quince and use my code joy for a great deal: https://www.quince.com/
* Check out Quince: https://www.quince.com/
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands