Manage episode 377326637 series 3406478
I reached out to MC McDonald after reading her book Unbroken: The Trauma Response is Never Wrong (And Other Things you Need to Know to Take Back Your Life) which I found pivotal in unravelling my own trauma response over these past few months.
MaryCatherine McDonald, PhD, is a research professor and life coach who specializes in the psychology and philosophy of trauma. She has been researching, lecturing, and publishing on the neuroscience, psychology, and lived experience of trauma since completing her PhD in 2016. She’s published two academic books and many research papers, and is the creator of a trauma-based curriculum that serves previously incarcerated folks and veterans.
In this chat, we cover, what does it really mean to experience trauma, and how does it affect our body, brain, and identity?
- MC's (re)definition of trauma as an 'unbearable emotional experience that lacks a relational home', challenging the current definition that often overlooks layers of lived experience.
- Our journey through the intricate neurobiology of trauma reveals its profound effects on us - from disrupting memory to altering our reactions.
- recognizing our body's warning signals and the importance of having diverse tools to manage trauma responses.
- simple tools like diaphragmatic breathing which can help regulate our nervous system during a trigger, and
- how narrative reframing can powerfully aid our healing journey.
- the deep-seated issue of shame, often linked with trauma, and debunk the misconception that feeling ashamed is necessary for progress.
And finally, we explore how critical life transitions can bring opportunities for healing and stress the importance of trusting ourselves during these challenging times.
Join us in this episode as we learn to find our voice, reframe our stories, and navigate the path towards healing from trauma.
You can find MC and her spectacular life-changing book at https://alchemycoaching.life/
Come visit Kylie's beautiful new home
Head to Freebies page here for all your meno and storytelling resources, including:
--> Midlife "Mojo" menoPAUSE Mini Course to help understand the shifts of perimenopause and learn simple self care practises
--> Cracking the Copy Code: Rave Reviews to get glowing rave reviews on autopilot & on repeat
Come connect with Kylie on Insta @kyliepatchett or Facebook @kyliepatchettonline
and online for all your menoPAUSE and Brand, Content and Copy Storytelling needs at Kylie's brand new web home www.kpkreative.com.au