Manage episode 300100362 series 2438632
Life is becoming busier and busier. The further society progresses, the more it seems that we have more to juggle: work, family, friends, education, health, finances, Netflix series, mortgages. Between these and many other modern-day distractions, it’s difficult for many of us to put effort into our relationships - and easy to say, “I don’t have time!” I get it. But we have to understand that cultivating and nurturing our relationships isn’t solely about time. It’s also about keeping boundaries, protecting what’s truly important, and consciously giving your attention to you, your partner, and your relationship.
In this episode, I discuss the importance of making your relationship a priority and how to do it in spite of the world’s busyness. I discuss our tendency to prioritize our relationships in the beginning and lose our focus over time. I reveal the many reasons it’s difficult for us to prioritize our relationship and explain how we can stay deeply connected with our partner - even when doing individual things. I share the exercise questions I use to assess whether I’m giving my wife the quality attention she deserves. I also underscore the role of self-care and self-development in maintaining and prioritizing relationships and highlight what it means to have a shared experience with your partner.
“Every relationship requires effort. The happiest ones are given plenty of attention.” - Pripo Teplitsky
This week on Relationships! Let’s Talk About It:
- Why it’s difficult to prioritize our relationships
- The importance of prioritizing ourselves and bringing a healthy sense of self into the relationship
- Maintaining your connection with your partner in micro-moments
- Cultivating a relationship in the mundane life
- The value of checking-in with your partner and why it’s different from asking for permission
- Nurturing a relationship through kindness, generosity, and respect
- How our partner or family sometimes doesn’t get the best of us
- Keeping boundaries to maintain and protect relationships
- The myth of spontaneity and why relationships need time & effort
- How to make time for your relationship when you’re busy
- What an authentic shared experience is and how to have one with your partner
- Focus, attention, and reserving a mental space for your partner
- Exercise questions to assess the quality of attention you give in your relationship
Let’s Talk About It!
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Relationships! Let’s Talk About It - the show to help you forge deeper, more meaningful connections and relationships with those around you. If you enjoyed this week’s episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts, subscribe to the show, and leave us a rating and review.
Check out our Guided Audio Practices and Meditations at Relationships! Let’s Learn About It.
You can check out the original songs I have sung in my podcast at Pripo’s Podcast Songs.
And if our content has helped you forge deeper connections and more meaningful relationships, be sure to help support the show by visiting our Support the Podcast page!
Theme music “These Streets” provided by Adi the Monk