Manage episode 340334707 series 2614330
Mother's will always choose an Organic crib mattress over non-organic mattresses. Mattresses that contain polyurethane or vinyl are laden with chemicals that can potentially harm your baby over time. The toxic chemicals can come into contact with your baby through contact with the skin, through the respiratory system and by the mouth as your baby chews on a lot of things when very young.
That's why it's essential to outfit your baby's crib with a non-toxic crib mattress.
The benefits of using an safe, non-toxic crib mattress that has some organic components are many, but here are a few.
- Natural crib mattresses contain natural latex foam, wool and cotton which won't emit any harmful VOC's into the environment where your baby sleeps.
- Many Non-toxic crib mattresses contain materials that are certified to by safe for your baby. The certifications include GOLS (Global Organic Latex Standard), USDA (United States Department of Agriculture), Greenguard Gold, OEKO-Tex, and GOTS (cotton).
-No offgassing chemicals from polyurethane foam or vinyl covers
- No fire retardants that have been linked to cancer
- Hypoallergenic – the materials are less likely to cause an allergic reaction. However, there may by a risk of an allergic reaction to any material.
- Better for the environment – Natural crib mattresses contain many materials that are biodegradable and come from a renewable resource. The cultivaltion and harvesting of these resources also provides many socio-economic benefits.
- Some models like the Wovenaire by Newton are more breathable. this will lower the chances of your baby being affected by SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)