Manage episode 359272464 series 3395428
The incredible Kelly Thiel joins Catherine for a brave and inspiring conversation about her experience within the NXIVM cult and what she has learned since breaking free.
This episode is relevant to everyone at this time - we may not all be in a 'cult' but we are all being mind-controlled at some level. Understanding the techniques used gives YOU the power to know when this is happening to you in any aspect of your life. Kelly shares her honest journey and how she has turned this experience into being 'Unapologetically Glorious - releasing shame and owning your own individual life.
Kelly Thiel is an accomplished author, speaker, voice actress, consultant, and the driving force behind Be Glorious.
Kelly has spent her life seeking a feeling of completeness. A spiritual awakening that she was sure she would achieve. But no matter how many workshops she took she never seemed to find the answer.
When Kelly escaped NXIVM she realized the answers weren’t outside of herself… She could only find them within.
At that time Kelly wrote her first book, Unapologetically Glorious. This best-selling memoir is an honest and occasionally hilarious peek into her life. Kelly has created a Book Club guide to go along with her memoir to help spark conversation and reflection.
Key Moments :
- [00:00:00] - Coming up…
- [00:02:48] - Meet my guest
- [00:04:41] - “What led you to join the cult?”
- [00:09:01] - Kelly’s journey, and the alarm bells
- [00:17:56] - Shame & support
- [00:21:29] - Tell-tale signs you might be in a cult
- [00:25:31] - “How do you feel, looking back?”
- [00:28:40] - Advice on shifting the shame
- [00:34:19] - Dealing with cult-like behaviour in other areas of society
- [00:38:26] - NXIVM and boundaries
- [00:42:05] - Kelly’s book: “Unapologetically Glorious”
- [00:49:17] - Advice from Kelly
- [00:51:44] - Using new skills in today’s society
- [00:54:15] - Final thoughts
- Often with cults, it is very difficult to see that you are indoctrinated until something very drastic happens or someone pulls you out of it. Collateral and coercion can make leaving even more difficult.
- NXIVM was portrayed as a personal development programme and in the early days, did provide Kelly, and others seeking balance and belonging, with helpful tools which contributed to the manipulation.
- It’s easy to feel shame after being part of a cult, but know that you are not alone. Being vulnerable and sharing your experience may help others who have gone through the same.
- Once you know the tell-tale signs of cults, it’s easy to see these traits in other areas of general society - particularly narcissism and love-bombing.
- Just as you are, you are enough!
- If you haven’t already, make sure to watch the documentary “Seduced” on Stars, and read Kelly’s book: “Unapologetically Glorious”.
Follow me on social media:
Podcast editing and production by Momiji Media
Disclaimer: The purpose of this podcast is to keep curious and keep free. The opinions of the guests do not necessarily represent the opinions of the host and vice versa - exploring different opinions is key to growth. The content in this podcast and on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical or veterinary advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your doctor or other qualified healthcare professional with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical or veterinary advice because of something you have heard on my podcast or website.