Manage episode 377462571 series 2650280
The term “pelvic floor health” has been thrown around a lot in the past few years and chances are that when you read or heard about it, there was a lot of talk about doing kegels.
But did you know that kegels are not always the right way to work on your pelvic floor? And did you know that the pelvic floor is closely tied to your breath, which means that focusing on how you breathe is really important?
It turns out that there’s a lot to learn about this group of muscles - especially for women who often face pelvic floor issues during or after pregnancy.
So in this episode, Jordan talks with pelvic floor physical therapist Dr. Mae Hughes about everything you need to know about the pelvic floor!
Tune in to this episode to learn:
- What the pelvic floor is and why it’s so important
- What happens to the pelvic floor during and after pregnancy
- What you can do to minimize pelvic floor issues
- When (and when not to) do kegels and what may be more helpful
- What research has to say about lifting and cardio in pregnancy
- Daily movements to help prepare for labor
- Guidelines for moving your body postpartum
Want to dig deeper into this topic? Check out the links mentioned in this episode: