Manage episode 335150162 series 2988189
Rounding out another great week of troublemaking, we’re talking about what a world looks like where Amazon knows your most private details, what the return of the rebate might look like and when, and Ford and GM ask the government for permission to go full autonomous.
- Amazon gets deeper into Medical Care with announced merger w/ One Medical
- One of Amazon's largest acquisitions to date at $3.9B
- One Medical is a high loyalty, subscription based, brick and mortar primary care network operating in 19 markets and 100+ offices across the country
- Amazon already offers “Amazon Care” for its 1.1M employees
- Massive data privacy concerns are coming from One Medical customers and regulators
- Amazon has spent the last five years methodically squandering the Earned Trust needed for customers to embrace an acquisition like this. This is disappointing along multiple axes. My cancellation request has been submitted to @onemedical.
- The Return of the Rebate?
- “Right now, there is scant inventory, dealers are making more money than they know what to do with and manufacturers are stoked because they don’t have to (offer rebates),” he tells Wards. “But that will change.”
- First, “manufacturers are sitting on millions of vehicles they can’t deploy,” West says, referring to the partially built vehicles in abeyance.When the microchip shortage ends –predictions on when that might occur vary – and those vehicles are fully built, what will automakers do next?
- “I think they’ll take a giant ramrod and shove them down dealers’ throats,” West quips. “They don’t have a choice. They still have to pay the unions whether they build vehicles or not.
- “Most of the OEMs are not building vehicles at the volume they need to find efficiencies at their facilities. But if you proceed on the assumption that eventually auto manufacturing will normalize, and the industry gets everything it needs to build as many vehicles as it wants to build, then you have a free-market environment again.”
- Take away: What do you think will happen? Let us know firstname.lastname@example.org , we’ll post some of the comments
- GM and Ford ask US regulators for permission to release fully autonomous vehicles
- No gas pedal, brake, or steering wheel
- The companies want to release 2,500 vehicles yearly for ride-sharing and delivery services using only their branded self-driving technology.
- A Ford spokesperson said the "petition is an important step toward helping create a regulatory path that allows autonomous technologies to mature over time, eliminating controls and displays that are only useful to human drivers."
Get the Daily Push Back email at https://www.asotu.com/
Rock with us LIVE at ASOTU CON! Tickets: https://www.asotucon.com
JOIN the conversation on LinkedIn at: https://www.linkedin.com/company/asotu/
Read our most recent email at: https://www.asotu.com/media/push-back-email
Share your positive dealer stories: https://www.asotu.com/positivity
ASOTU Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/automotivestateoftheunion