Manage episode 313785882 series 3286940
6. What Did Jesus Say About Sexual and Gender Minorities?
In this episode we look at Jesus own words on the topic sexual and gender minorities.
This is the first of several episodes where we look at Jesus’s words in Matthew 19 verses 11-12.
At the end of this episode, you will receive a “homework” assignment:
Who do you think Jesus is talking about in each of the three types of sexual minorities in Matthew 19:11-12?
- “Those who have been so FROM BIRTH.”
- “Those who have been made so BY OTHERS”
- “Those who have made themselves so FOR THE SAKE OF THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN”
Use whatever translation you are most comfortable with:
- “Eunuch” or “sexually different.”
- “Mother’s womb” or “birth.”
And then match each of the three sexual minorities Jesus calls out in Mt 19:11-12 (1. from BIRTH; 2. by OTHERS; or 3. for the KINGDOM) with one or more of the letters in the rainbow of sexual and gender minorities: LGBTQIA+.
LGBTQIA+ brief definitions: https://lgbtqiainfo.weebly.com/acronym-letters-explained.html
More detailed definitions: https://abbreviations.yourdictionary.com/what-does-lgbtqia-stand-for-full-acronym-explained.html
You are answering the question:
Who is Jesus talking about in each of these 3 groups?
- Some of Jesus's categories may map to multiple letters.
- And some letters may be used more than once.
- You may also use terms not normally associated with the LGBTQIA+ community. For example, “castrated men” or “infertile men.”
References and URLs:
- Janet Edmonds quotes:
From my research about eunuchs in antiquity:
- http://theologyattheedge.co.uk/tears-in-god-s-wineskin(see bottom 4 references)
- https://facultystaff.richmond.edu/~wstevens/riseofeunuchs.pdfsee page 497.
Quotes voiced by Speechelo