Manage episode 337577010 series 2576053
He was Britain's most famous hangman and was responsible for the executions of up to 600 prisoners.
In this episode, we'll explore the curious life of a man who ended people's lives for a living.
- The unusual boyhood dream of Albert Pierrepoint
- Executions running in the family
- Capital punishment in the UK in the early 20th century
- Becoming an assistant executioner and working with his uncle
- Conducting his first execution
- The "long drop"
- Executing Nazi war criminals
- Becoming a pub landlord
- Why Albert Pierrepoint was so successful
- Controversial hangings in the 1950s
- Was he really a kind and gentle man?
- Retiring from his job as an executioner
- The beliefs of Albert Pierrepoint about capital punishment
- Legacy in books, films & TV
Full transcript, subtitles and key vocabulary available on the website: https://www.leonardoenglish.com/podcasts/albert-pierrepoint
You might like:
Keywords: Learn English, idioms, aprende inglés, idiomas, aprender inglês, apprendre l'anglais, imparare l’inglese, ingilizce öğren,英語を習う, تعلم الإنجليزية