Manage episode 336658619 series 3007404
Warning: In-depth talk about eating disorders, exercise addiction and references to suicide.
Recent analysis from the Royal College of Psychiatrists has revealed that hospital admissions for people with eating disorders have risen 84% in the last five years - with boys and young men increasingly affected. Body dysmorphia is now thought to affect men and women in equal numbers. So why is there still a lack of resources and support groups to help men?
This week, Media Storm hears from men who have been affected by bulimia, body dysmorphia and exercise addiction, about why they felt they couldn't seek help. We hear from a peer support group for men about how far we've come in tackling stigma - and how far there is to go. Plus, we dip into the rise of muscularity-orientated disordered eating, and hear how the 'big, strong, tough' masculinity stereotype affects the body image of men - especially for Black men.
We’re joined in the studio by writer and artist Scottee, to discuss the intersections of masculinity, class, and queerness, reclaiming fatness, and the impact of the Love Island legacy.
The episode is hosted by Mathilda Mallinson (@mathildamall) and Helena Wadia (@helenawadia). Research by Isabella Crispino and Mafalda Lorijn. The voice of 'Lawrence' is by Shaun Wood. Music by Samfire @soundofsamfire.
- Sam Thomas @sam_thomas86
- Tom Quinn @tomquinn1 @BeatED
- Danny Bowman @DannyBowman10
- Brad Powell @MaleVoicED
- Dr Jason Nagata @jasonmnagata
- Scottee @scotteeisfat
- Beat: The UK's eating disorder charity https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/
- MaleVoicED: A charity dedicated to the voice of males who have experienced or are experiencing eating, exercise, or body-image related difficulties and co-morbid conditions. Find out more about their Peer Support Groups: https://www.malevoiced.com/peer-support
- Samaritans: https://www.samaritans.org/
- Predictors of muscularity-oriented disordered eating behaviors in U.S. young adults https://bit.ly/3zsKDH6
- Hospital admissions for eating disorders increased by 84% in the last five years https://bit.ly/3d4iI8M
- Millions of men in the UK affected by body image issues – Mental Health Foundation survey https://bit.ly/3vBLu7h
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder Foundation https://bit.ly/3vCyo9Q
- How do stereotypes prevent Black people from seeking help for eating disorders? https://bit.ly/3d3A7hQ
Get in touch:
- Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/mediastormpod
- or Instagram https://www.instagram.com/mediastormpod
- or Tiktok https://www.tiktok.com/@mediastormpod
- like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MediaStormPod
- send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org
- check out our website https://mediastormpodcast.com
Media Storm is an award-winning podcast brought to you by the house of The Guilty Feminist and is part of the Acast Creator Network.
Become a member at https://plus.acast.com/s/media-storm.
Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.