Manage episode 307900205 series 2940478
Prior to that, he was a consultant to The Rockefeller Foundation Food Initiative during 2017-2021, supporting the Foundation’s work to advance a more nourishing and sustainable food system. Daniel has also worked as an expert for the World Bank in Washington D.C. (2015-2016) on issues around technology, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
Daniel is a mentor for several FoodTech accelerators, a venture partner to four foodtech VC firms, and is an advisor to a number of AgTech and FoodTech startups. He curates the newsletter FoodTech Weekly and co-hosts The Appetizer podcast.
In this episode we will talk about:
How do we nourish people [10bn] in a sustainable way in the future?
- The feeding GAP - how to feed 10bn people in 2050 by not using more agriculture land, not emitting more carbon and less water.
- The history of nourishment of an increasing population.
- Food is responsible for 25% of annual greenhouse emissions, 70% freshwater use, 50% of all land use.
- We discuss 3 solutions and existing companies for reducing GHG emission while feeding the world:
- Increase productivity in agriculture (crops, animals, fertilizers, etc.) by using technology such as sensors, Satellit, robotics, vertical farming, cold chain optimization in Africa, etc.
- Reduce food waste in developed countries (we throw 1/3 away) by increasing awareness, alarm systems for due dates, dynamic pricing, sustainable packaging, circular solutions, fair pricing by total cost accounting, etc.
- Shift diets from animal based protein, sugar, sodium to more fruit and vegetable, nuts, omega 3 based food, etc.
- Why is it so difficult to implement these solutions? We talk about the missing true cost accounting in the food chain.
- How your plate should look like to nourish you well.
- We are looking into the future and the challenges to scale them: Personalized nutrition, AI based nutrition analysis, increasing consumer demand towards origin, components and nutrition levels of food, plant-based protein, lab-grown protein, precision fermentation food.
- Where would Daniel invest into the next 5 years?
- Potential book title about himself: Incurable Optimist.
Please check out show notes and background information: www.sustainnow.ch
Ideas for a podcast episode? Please contact us here: email@example.com