Manage episode 300883045 series 2637014
Can you make a version of Python that fits within the memory constraints of a microcontroller and have it still feel like Python? That is the intention behind CircuitPython. This week on the show, we have Scott Shawcroft, who is the project lead for CircuitPython.
We talk about all things CircuitPython. While working with the language on several projects I have developed many of my own questions to ask Scott. Scott answers my questions about boot loaders, packages, the bundle, and bluetooth low energy (BLE).
He also talks about the struggle of fitting the language and board specific libraries within tiny memory constraints. We discuss projects and boards for beginners, and many resources to learn more.
Course Spotlight: Getting Started With MicroPython
Are you interested in the Internet of Things, home automation, and connected devices? If so, then you’re in luck! In this course, you’ll learn about MicroPython and the world of electronics hardware. You’ll set up your board, write your code, and deploy a MicroPython project to your own device.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:01:56 – Background With CircuitPython
- 00:07:22 – Lightning talk and CircuitPython as a subset of Python
- 00:16:01 – Working with CircuitPython: Bootloaders and Packages
- 00:27:20 – Specific libraries, adding modules, and pip
- 00:37:21 – Sponsor: Rev.ai
- 00:37:57 – How to program, text editor or IDE
- 00:41:19 – Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and programming devices remotely
- 00:50:02 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:51:06 – Do you consider yourself a Maker?
- 00:54:58 – Bringing CircuitPython coding to the Raspberry Pi?
- 00:59:56 – Suggestions for beginner hardware
- 01:00:55 – Suggestions for add-on boards for audio or displays
- 01:10:20 – Electronics Show and Tell Wednesdays
- 01:11:51 – Events, video streams, and Discord server
- 01:16:00 – What are you excited about in the world of Python?
- 01:17:23 – What do you want to learn next?
- 01:18:42 – Shoutouts and plugs
- 01:22:40 – Social media info
- 01:23:52 – Thanks and goodbye
- CircuitPython: The easiest way to program microcontrollers
- MicroPython: Python for Microcontrollers
- 2021 Python Language Summit Lightning Talks Slides: tannewt GitHub
- The 2021 Python Language Summit: Lightning Talks, Round 1
- Episode 69: Planning a Faster Future at the Python Language Summit
- Episode 47: Unraveling Python’s Syntax to Its Core With Brett Cannon
- Syntatic Sugar Series: Brett Cannon
- WebAssembly - WASM
- Adafruit MacroPad RP2040 Starter Kit
- John Park’s Workshop: YouTube Playlist
- Code With Mu: A simple Python editor for beginner programmers
- BLE - Bluetooth Low Energy: Wikipedia
- CircUp: A tool to manage and update libraries (modules) on a CircuitPython device
- Blinka: Brings CircuitPython APIs to single board computers
- Raspberry Pi 400 Desktop - Full Computer Kit
- Electronics Show and Tell Wednesdays: YouTube playlist
- AdaBox: Curated Adafruit products
- tannewt GitHub
- Adafruit Discord Server: Link to join