534: How to Stop the War Against Yourself | Tara Brach
Manage episode 349660509 series 172966
It’s possible to actually be addicted to self-criticism, especially as a way to keep yourself safe. But evidence shows that’s not true, and today’s episode dives into strategies to deal with your own self-hatred.
This is part two of a series this week on forgiveness. In our last episode, Jack Kornfield focused on forgiving other people and in today’s episode, Tara Brach talks about forgiving yourself.
Tara Brach is a meditation teacher, psychologist and author of several books including Radical Acceptance, Radical Compassion and Trusting the Gold. Her weekly podcast is downloaded 3 million times a month. Tara is also the founder of the Insight Meditation Community of Washington.
In this episode we talk about:
- Why Tara says self-hatred “divides us from our ourselves”
- The benefits of learning the habit to stop kicking our own asses
- Simple meditations to help us with self-forgiveness
- Questions that can help us understand what really matters to us, and what we really want
- The power of seeing the profundity in mundane experiences
- A refresher on a fan favorite meditation technique: RAIN
- How to start trusting reality more than we believe the beliefs about ourselves
- Forgiveness vs accountability
Full Shownotes: https://www.tenpercent.com/podcast-episode/tara-brach-534