550: The Science of Persuasion | Vanessa Bohns
Manage episode 353435533 series 172966
It can be difficult to grasp how much power of persuasion we actually have, or how to wield it wisely.
In today’s episode we look at science-based strategies for observing the effect we have on others, and how to better deal with our fear of rejection, and asking for favors.
Vanessa Bohns is a social psychologist and a professor of organizational behavior at Cornell University. She is the author of You Have More Influence Than You Think: How We Underestimate Our Power of Persuasion, and Why it Matters.
In this episode we talk about:
- How much we often underestimate our own influence
- Why it’s so hard to say no
- Why people are paying attention to us more than we think
- The impact of asking for things in-person
- The responsibility that comes with being in a position of power
- What it means to experience your own influence
- And how we can be more aware of the influence we have
Full Shownotes: https://www.tenpercent.com/podcast-episode/vanessa-bohns-550